Thursday, July 13, 2017

Q2 recap

Okido, another quarter gone, another recap to be made. Even though I've been talking about an insane savings rate, you could have also been reading my moving story which turned out pretty costly yet still worth it.

All things added up my real savings rate isn't up-and-running so far. And to undisclose another thing, I actually calculated my SR a bit wrong (since I was calculating it as a percentage of my total expenditure and not of my total income). Anyway. I updated my spreadsheet (also in my Q1 recap) and now it's telling no more lies (actually, my SR comes out a bit better with the correct formula). So here are the numbers for Q2!



I see you gasping right there... He didn't even get to a 20% SR! I know. I saw the table before you did. I even made the darned thing. So. Some explanation maybe? Right on! 

Savings and stocks. Hm. The Move kicked in here. I only invested around 500 euro's and I didn't quite save a lot. That brings down my SR from >30% to <20%. I sure hope to beat those numbers this next quarter. Must be since my rent is less anyway. 
Rent is a bit over 50% since I had to pay two extra weeks for my old place. Fair enough, since I'm getting a refund for my deposit which will more or less make up for the difference.
Vacation is still zero. Things will change in Q3 since I'm planning on taking a (couple of) break(s). Yet, the really big trip will still be in December.
My training budget is done for the year. I'm considering an extra block which starts in September, but at this moment I am a pretty tired and filled up with everything I did so far (and I'm out of budget, yet with personal growth I am willing to give things a go there). I'll make a decision about continuing around the end of next month.
Groceries. April was gigantic. I don't know what happened ("yes you do, you spent 25% over budget there my friend"). May and June where fine.
Home Improvement was added since I couldn't quite put things in any other budget and I didn't want to mess up my miscellaneous budget here.
Diner is OK (the returns are splitting bills with my significant other who returned me some cash for past diners).
Fuel in May was a bit over budget but mostly because I drove around half the country to buy two new windows for my new home. I also needed to fill up my tank just before May ended yet I managed to complete June with just one more tank. So things spread out nicely, I'm even under budget there.
Insurance is fine, too (even though I had to switch car insurance due to me moving).
Utilities are fine, too. I got a refund in april since I used a lot less gas and power then I pay ahead. June looks big, but it's two full months for two apartments. I am expecting a refund there as well. Will probably show up in Q3.
Taxes are okay, I have to pay city taxes every april so that's why things look slightly over budget, but it's all fine.
Clothing is up and over 67%, I bought some things including new sneakers. Happens. Quite OK I guess.
Gifts. As stated. Life sometimes means giving. I'm not going to be a Scrooge there.
I stopped my student loan. It's a 0,01 cent a month interest at this moment and I'm free to take a 60 months no pay time-out. Since I'm making more money on dividends and interest I might as well invest and save the money now. It's not that big a deal, it's just over 500 euro at the moment.
Miscellaneous. Well. I'm more or less through my budget there. This is mostly because I bought STUFF. I bought a couple of studio microphones, a midi controller to control my studio software and another A/D converter to upscale my number of studio inputs. Where those needs? Nope. Is it a problem? Hm, dunno. I think not. The stuff is all in excellent condition and bought second handed. That means it'll more or less break-even when I sell it. For the time being, I get to have a lot of fun with it while recording music with friends. If I'm done with it I'll sell it again. I know it doesn't make any sense compared to the student loan argument, but then again, it's just something I like and had budgeted anyway.

So there you have it. Total expenditure in Q2 was a bit more than Q1 but not super extraordinary. Savings rate is <20%, target is to get it up and running >30% again next quarter.

Adding all these figures up, my Net Worth looks like this:



Pretty decent. I will be creating a graph in Q3 to show my NW more or less real time (with monthly updates I think). This will tell a much nicer story then quarterly numbers. 

As of now, it's more or less keeping my budget (which is a hard thing). My next big goal in life is creating a more balanced life style (man, does a moving kick in! I need rest) and looking out into the future for a more satisfying job. MAybe there will be movement too somewhere this year. More on that... later!

No comments:

Post a Comment